Monday, January 23, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Gluten Free Pizza Crust Recipe

I have been trying to stay away from mixes and develop recipes that are gluten free. I usually do that by reading through four or five recipes and deciding what will work best.

Pizza crust is easily purchased Gluten Free but if I have a large crowd I want to be able to make it in larger sizes. I found this recipe, converted it to gluten free and everyone loved it!

This is Valentinos's Pizza Crust that I got off of the Allrecipes.com site and converted it to Gluten Free.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. A pizza stone is recommended.

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used C4C Flour)

Directions:
Stir water, sugar and yeast tougher until dissolved. Let stand for 10 minutes until foamy. If the yeast doesn't get foamy you will need to start over with fresher yeast. Add in olive oil and salt to yeast mixture. Stir in C4C Flour until well blended. Let the dough rest for at least 10 minutes.

The dough is fairly bland. I recommend adding in a teaspoon each of basil, thyme and oregano. Pat dough onto pan using fingers dipped in olive oil (you can sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza stone before rolling out the dough if you like the flavor). You can spray Pam (or cooking spray) on your fingers if you don't have olive oil but the oil adds flavor.

The recipes does not call for baking the dough before adding your ingredients. If you want a crisper crust I would bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for about 5-8 minutes before adding ingredients.

Top with ingredients of your choice and back from 15-20 minutes. I set the time for 10 minutes and switch the pan to anther shelf in the oven for 5 minutes and then back again for another 5 minutes if needed. This helps to ensure it cooks evenly on the top and bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment