Tuesday, January 3, 2012

C4C Flour - PRODUCT REVIEW

C4C Flour - Product Review

Well, someone may have finally gotten it right. Chef, Lena Kwak of The French Laundry developed this flour she calles C4C  (stands for Cup For Cup). The intention is that you can use one cup of C4C in replace of any recipe calling for a cup of flour. You can purchase this at Williams and Sonoma for $20. I have to say, I wish I could come up with the correct ratios and make this at home! Be careful if you have dairy allergies though. Milk powder is one of the last ingredients on the list.

I have used it once and my first impression is that it is worth every penny! I will use it a lot in the future and tell you if at any point it doesn't measure up.

In my gluten free baking experiences I have found that breads don't rise the way they used to. I have tried bread mixes and found the same thing to be true. We used to regularly eat corn bread. I tried to make it with my own flour mix and with other flour mixes on the market but it has never really been the same.

For New Years I made corn bread, black eyed peas and cabbage slaw. We had a late breakfast and this was our snack. I used the C4C in the cornbread and made Sweet Southern Cornbread. I could not believe it - it was just like cornbread used to be before going gluten free! WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment