Thursday, February 2, 2012

To Die for Chicken Salad - RECIPE

To Die for Chicken Salad Recipe

So, this is my go to recipe if I have all the ingredients on hand BUT if I don't there are a few you can leave out and it still tastes great!

I have used cooked chicken breasts chopped up, canned chicken and rotisserie chicken (my favorite choice). They all work. If I am using canned chicken, I use Kirkland Signature Premium Chunk Chicken Breast packed in water (you buy this at Costco - they sell it in 8 cans). I have been known to marinate chicken breast in a Teriyaki Merinade over night, grill them and use those in the chicken.

Items you could leave out and it still taste great (Greek yogurt - you could just add more mayo, turmeric, mirin - if you take this out I would add a Tablespoon of sweet relish, candied pecans - you could use plain or any other nut you prefer or leave it out altogether, allspice)





Don't be scared - this is going to look like a lot of ingredients but it is minute amounts of most of them. They are all great to have on hand if you are cooking from my blog and it doesn't take as long as you might think to put it together. THE SAVING GRACE...there is no cooking after you put in the ingredients and mix them together!!!

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts or 2 - 12.5 oz canned chicken or 2.5 cups chicken from a rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup Olive Oil Mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt (I use FAGE)
1 Tablespoon honey mustard (if you don't have it but you have mustard, mix some honey in the mustard)
2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (grated)
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 Tablespoon basil (I love basil so I usually add a bit more)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper (I prefer close to a Tablespoon)
2 Tablespoons mirin (mirin is in the Asian food section close to rice wine vinegar but it is much milder)
1 cup grapes cut in half (pineapple will work well - if you get canned, add a little of the juice in too) You could even add both pineapple and grapes
1 small cucumber diced fine (celery or crisp apples work too)
1/2 cup candied pecans (smashed but large pieces) (you can use any nut you prefer - my kids love these)


Mix it all together and serve it however you like! My favorite way used to be on croissant but alas this is the one item I miss! We serve it on Udi's Cinnamon Raison bread, Udi's sandwich bread, Udi's pizza crust (use it like flat bread) and with Glutino Crackers. It is amazing served at a party on a cucumber round for an appetizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment